Timex Originals

Saturday 13 June 2009

Mojo Honours List Awards 2009

Those of you know me know of my love for soul & RnB, but on Thursday night I was lucky enough to be invited to the Mojo Honours List Awards at The Brewery in Central London. After i'd negotiated the roads filled with traffic due to the 2 day tube strike, I took my seat & was mighty impressed with what happened next.

Making their first appearance since reuniting Britpop band Blur were honoured. The group picked up the Inspiration Award in recognition of their influence on modern British music. The band's original line-up of Graham Coxon, Damon Albarn, Alex James and Dave Rowntree were all on hand at the awards ceremony to collect the accolade. Also picking up an award was John Lennon's widow Yoko Ono, who received a Lifetime Achievement Award. The honour, in praise for her contributions to music, is the first music prize of the 76-year-old's career. In other categories, U.S band Fleet Foxes walked away with Best Live Act but missed out on the Song Of The Year award. Instead, this went to Elbow whose anthem 'One Day Like This' was the favourite with Mojo readers. Meanwhile, the Manic Street Preachers picked up the Maverick Award and Paul Weller scooped the third Mojo of his career by winning Best Album for '22 Dreams'.

I was in the presence of some true rock legends,, for which a part of me will always remember. But the highlight of my night was meeting Chris Blackwell founder of Island Records.










No comments:

Post a Comment